Hi there, in this topic we are going to learn how to build muscle & lose fat. For you to do this you will need a variety of protein, veggies, fruits, carbs, and healthy fats. Protein helps building & maintaining muscle so eating enough of this is a good thing. Eating protein also aid in fat loss. Why? Well because:
Protein has a higher thermic effect than carbs/fats.
Eating fats also helps fat loss: your body stores fat if you don’t eat fats (well the right kind of fats). Fruits & veg contain the essential vitamins & minerals for recovery from your workouts. And carbs fuel your muscles so you feel full of energy at the gym.
Most of us struggle to get these foods and get the right balance this can be due to having a busy lifestyles or lack information.
The list below will help you acquire what you have lacked:
Super foods you need to build muscle & lose fat.
- Whole Eggs.
– Cheap & rich source of protein: 7g/egg. Majority of the nutrients are in the yolk, followed by 50% of the protein, vitamins A/D/E and cholesterol to naturally increase your testosterone levels.
– Dietary cholesterol isn’t bound to blood cholesterol. If you have bad cholesterol, lower your body fat and not throwing the yolk away.
2. Fish Oil.
– Reduces inflammation (joints/skin), lowers body fat and increases testosterone levels.
You may struggle a bit to get that from eating fatty fish, consider a fish oil supplement.
3. Wild Salmon.
– One of the best sources of omega-3 fatty acids that also gets you 20g protein per 100g serving.
– Farm raised salmon is, however, omega-3 deficient: it’s corn/grain fed. Go with wild salmon.
– Strong forms of antioxidants that help prevent cancer, heart & eye disease.
– Any kind of berries work i.e. cranberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, etc.
– Buy fresh or frozen berries and mix with oatmeal taste can take a bit of getting used to.
– Yoghurt has the ‘Good’ bacteria that helps improve your gastrointestinal health.
– Frozen yogurt or yogurt with added sugar and fruits at the bottom (Muller lights etc.) are not the types on yoghurt I am talking about so don’t buy them.
– Buy the plain low-fat yogurt instead as the right and healthier option you can eat it with berries & flax seeds for added texture and much-needed flavour.
6. Flax Seeds.
– To me, this is an excellent source of fiber, protein & omega-3.
– To get the most out flax seeds, simply grind.
– Take 1 tbsp. with yogurt & berries before going to bed.
Please note: Stay away from flax oil: it’s unstable and has no fiber.
7. Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
– 70% monounsaturated fats that protect against heart diseases and cancer.
– Add 1-2 tbsp. Olive oil to your salads.
Note: you can buy Extra Virgin Olive Oil: it has more polyphenols and tastes better.
8. Mixed Nuts. These contain a variety of helpful little guys called:
– called mono & polyunsaturated fats, proteins, fiber, vitamin E, zinc, potassium, magnesium,
– . Mixed nuts are caloric dense, which means that if you’re a skinny guy who wants to gain weight? Then pack on some mixed nuts.
– You can eat a mixture of: almonds, walnuts, cashews, hazelnuts.
You can also try: Peanut butter also works as long as you buy natural peanut butter without added salts/sugars.
9. Red Meat. If you’re a lover of red meat, then here’s what it has:
– Protein, vitamin B12, heme iron, zinc, Creatine, carnosine.
– Omega-3 if you eat grass-fed beef. Eat steaks & hamburgers from top round or sirloin.
If you want to know more information on red meat then read Dr Lonnie Lowery’s article on Meat.
10. Broccoli. Broccoli has to be one of if not the only vegetable that I love to eat simply because when steamed they taste absolutely yummy! And the health benefits are:
– high in soluble fiber and low-calorie, helping fat loss.
Try eating other cross-bearing vegetables for a change like: cabbage, bok Choy, cauliflower, kale.
11. Spinach. One of the most alkaline foods. Spinach help prevent muscle & bone loss, and cancer and heart diseases because of its high nutrient profile.
12. Turkey. Those of us who don’t believe saturated fat is good for us? Might I suggest the you try white turkey? Research shows that the leanest beef has about 4.5g saturated fat/100g, while white turkey has close to 0g (that why it’s so dry). Try eating turkey with spinach & quinoa.
13. Quinoa. Hmmm what is Quinoa? Also known as South American “king of grains” is more in fiber & protein than rice or oats. Quinoa also tastes a lot better and is gluten-free.
If you manage to come across the whiter grain then I would suggest you buy it, it’s better quality. Eat it post workout with meat & spinach.
14. Oats. Reduce cholesterol, provides you with low-GI carbs for energy, high in soluble fiber.
Try this post workout shake of whey & oats.
– High in lycopene, which prevents cancer.
– The lycopene in tomato paste is 4 times more bio-available than in fresh tomatoes.
Try: having a pizza or some pasta with tomato sauce & olive oil post strength training.
16. Oranges. As we already know, oranges are a good source of: Vitamin C, fight diseases, magnesium to lower blood pressure, anti-oxidant beta-carotenes, etc..
You might want to lay off drinking processed orange juice as they often have added sugars and switch to eating fresh oranges or make your own orange juice.
17. Apples. You have heard the saying “An apple a day keeps the doctor away” well an apple a day also helps the keep the fat at bay (not as catchy as the other saying) but the pectin in apples helps weight loss by increasing satiety. Apples are also the strongest antioxidant after cranberries make sure you eat the apple’s skin too. you might want to go for organic apples as non-organic apples are grown with pesticides which are not too healthy.
– Their huge vitamin A content.
– Improves eye-health, especially night vision.
– Rich in fiber.
– low-calorie and taste good, even raw.
19. Green Tea. This is a strong antioxidant and natural diuretic. Drink green tea in the morning instead of coffee. Real green tea and not the teabags.
– Green tea also speeds up fat loss
– Prevents cancer
– Improves blood sugar & circulation.
Mix this all up together. Eat proteins, veggies, fruits & fats every 3 hours. 2 cups water with each meal. Carbs post workout only. If you are going to munch on Junk food then only munch on junk food try to keep it to about 10% of the time. Get stronger in the meanwhile and you’ll build muscle & lose fat.